If you love lemons and anything that goes with them, you should try to make a lemon curd. It is delicious in cakes (as a filling of our famous lemon curdies) or on a buttered bread instead of jam.
Ingredients for middle sized jar:
- 3 lemons (organic or untreated)
- 3 eggs
- 90 g butter
- 2 cups sugar
- Grate the lemon zest of the three lemons.
- Squeeze the lemon juice.
- Heat the butter, lemon juice, grated zest and sugar slowly over moderate heat, until the butter is melted. The sugar should have dissolved by now.
- Beat the eggs in a separate bowl
- Add the eggs very slowly and carefully (!) to the hot lemon sauce while constantly stirring it up.
- Now it is getting tricky: Let the whole liquid briefly boil up. Do this several times, until it begins to thicken. Do not forget to stir it patiently.
- While still hot fill it into a jar and instantly close it.
- Once cooled down, keep it refrigerated and it will stay fresh for several weeks.
If you a too anxious to boil it directly in a pan on the oven, try heating it over a hot water-bath (bain-marie).