This is an easy to remember recipe that nevertheless requires a lot of stirring and patience (and passion, of course)
Ingredients for the batter:
- 250 g flour
- 250 g butter
- 250 g sugar
- 5 eggs (one egg per 50 g flour)
- Flavour of any kind (use only natural flavours, though)
- 3 TS baking powder
- Preheat oven to 180° C.
- Beat butter and sugar until creamy and fluffy (at least for 10 minutes). There should be no sugar crystals.
- Add eggs, only one at a time, beating each about 2 minutes into the batter before adding the next. Beat in flavours.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder and add to the butter mixture in small amounts. Beat until blended after each addition. (Batter will be thick.)
- Al last add any other ingredient, like fruit, raisins, nuts… Keep in mind that the thickness of the batter will change with every powder (like cacao) or ground addition you use (like almonds or nuts as they take lot of moisture out of the cake – reduce amount of flour in that case). This might influence the outcome and the baking time.
- Pour into a buttered and with a layer of flour covered baking form and bake for 40 minutes, until the crust gets light brown. Use a wooden stick in the middle of the cake to control if it is done.
The better and longer you beat the batter, the softer it gets. Be patient!
Use a flour sifter to add the flour slowly and gently.
NEVER use any shortening or margarine instead of butter! Butter is what does the trick! Not only it is so much more tasty, butter is also the best flavour carrier you can use.